Friday, January 6, 2017

(269) Black Mirror + links

By Sati. Friday, January 6, 2017
  •  I watched almost all episodes of Black Mirror this week. It's a truly outstanding series. I'm gonna try to make a quick post where I rank all the episodes soon but number 1 would be a hard choice between Shut up and Dance and San Junipero. I really think if San Junipero (starring Mackenzie Davis and Gugu Mbatha-Raw) was a movie people would go nuts for it. I'm thinking about doing Visual Parallels with this episode but I don't know when I get to it. I also really liked White Christmas but does Jon Hamm always play assholes? I never saw him play anyone likable. The series is so cool because other than some small Easter eggs the episodes aren't connected at all so you can watch them in whatever order you want. And the cast they assembled in the show is really amazing.
  • Also I just gotta say I don't remember seeing Gugu in anything before but wow she is gorgeous! She is playing one of those house appliances in The Beauty and the Beast and how the hell would the Prince ever wanna get with Wooden Watson over this knockout?!
  • I saw the first episode of The Crown this week and I really liked it, particularly the music but holy hell does Matt Smith creep me out. Him and Cumberbatch are two men I cannot believe some chicks find hot. Also he is such a one note actor.  
  • The two Ed Harris movies I checked out while heavy breathing on weekend were National Treasure 2 - which was so ridiculous but he did a lot of action stuff in that so yey - and Virginia - which was a bizarre movie but there was this one scene where he spanked Jennifer Connelly with his belt so I quite literally almost collapsed on the floor while simultaneously clawing my own fucking face like Catelyn Stark during Red Wedding. Duplicate him and bring him to me goddammit.
  • I probably won't be watching Globes live this year. Maybe The Oscars, I don't know. I actually have a day off on Monday but do I really want to sit there till 5 AM when Magnificent Boo or Hardyboo won't even attend (they are both in London right now)? Original Boo Harrison was there last year so why bother again and J-boo is probably banned for life after HFPA saw Suicide Squad. I am tired. I don't have the time. I also really don't care. I genuinely don't feel like watching at all this year. I've been recapping the ceremonies for years but I won't anymore. Maybe it's the decreasing readership of the website which is just a reflection of me having less time, strength and desire to run it anymore. Less posts, less everything. I only visit fellow bloggers' websites about once a week, if that. The only things I genuinely loved last year were TV not cinema and something tells me Dead Eyed Gos swirling around in cute surroundings ain't gonna wake up my desire to write about films. But Oscars season? The only two movies that will get mentions that I want to see are Jackie and Arrival and it doesn't look like I actually get to see them any time soon. 
  • So there won't be ceremonies recap, they will be included in RF if I see them. 
  • I am however thrilled Anya Taylor-Joy made it onto BAFTA Rising Star list
  • Here is the poster for The Lure - a Polish horror mermaid movie I have been meaning to see for a year now. It's apparently bizarre as hell (having seen some of my great country's horror movies I am sure it is) but that is one amazing poster. 
  •  Ben Affleck may not do that Batman movie after all. My advice to him is to run away from DCEU. They have no idea what they are doing and they keep wasting all those talented actors they have. I'd love to see Batfleck's solo film but I have a sense the studio is meddling and that's why he is changing his tune now and saying the movie may never happen.
  • I cannot wait for this offensively insecure comedy wannabe to fall into obscurity along with her fat ass that is still so clearly photoshoped after her show end. I still cannot believe HBO did 6 seasons of that shit.
  • Speaking of photoshop, W magazine delivered what is the most ridiculous photoshoot I've seen in a very long time. I actually had to look up who is on that picture on the left because they are both so airbrushed:
  • And Michelle Williams' jaw, neck and chin were just massacred. Not to mention the actual photoshoot photos which are ridiculous. That's Chris Pine, apparently. 
  • A shame that Jesus didn't tell Chris Pratt to treat animals well and not be a complete and utter douche bag.
  • Ryan Reynolds really wants those Deadpool Oscar nominations to happen.
  • It's a new year but it's same old Johnny 9 Digits/Amber Heard feud. 
  • Darren Aronofsky has completely lost contact with reality. You're crawling with herpes now, Darren. 
  • Taboo is about to premiere so Hardyboo has been promoting it which is wonderful. He also wished us all happy New Year in a adorable way.
  • And here's him reading a bedtime story. Good God, man.
  • Kevin reviews La La Land
  • Allie lists top 10 movies of the year
  • Nikhat lists the films she is waiting for in 2017
  • Ruth shares Five for Fifth for January
  • Brittani lists her favorite legal thrillers
  • m.brown reviews Bridget Jones' Baby
  • RELATED POSTS:

    18 comments:

    1. Thanks for the link!
      I think my favourite Black Mirror episodes are between San Junipero, The Entire History of You and The National Anthem. I feel like doing a ranking as well.
      Gugu is stunning af! She's really great in both Belle and Beyond the Lights. You should check them out. Although, I have the biggest girl crush on Mackenzie Davis after San Junipero. SHE CAN PULL OFF ANY GLASSES STYLE! Adorbs!

      And aww, I'm one of those girls who find Matt Smith and Cumberbatch hot but like I can see why others might not find them attractive (except like for Cumberbatch's voice. That is some sexy shit :P)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        The Entire History of You was so powerful and The National Anthem was actually one of the scarier episodes because this sort of thing could easily happen in real life and to anyone really, not just the Prime Minister. Davis is gonna be in that new Blade Runner thing, she is super pretty so she is probably playing an android or something

        Yeah the voice is good and he is talented but his recent comments that he went to gym not to take care of his kid and left his wife on her own really put me off him even more

        Delete
    2. I look forward to your Oscar postings in RF then. I totally understand being burnt out.

      I've heard a lot of really good things about Black Mirror. My husband watched the one with Hayley Atwell the other day but I was too busy watching A Man Called Ove lol.

      I really liked the W magazine covers, but I didn't recognize McConaughey either.

      It's kind of hilarious that Affleck's like "Nah, I'm not directing Batman if the script sucks."

      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh Christ that Hayley Atwell episode was the most depressing one!

        Delete
    3. Hey thanks for the link Margaret! Oh man, I've only seen one episode of Black Mirror season 1 so far, got sidetracked by Westworld! But I can't wait to watch the entire 3 seasons, luckily there aren't that many episodes each. I LOVE Gugu Mbatha-Raw so definitely looking forward to season 3.

      I'm so with you on Matt Smith and Cumberbatch! They have SO many fans, but neither are attractive nor that great of an actor. Talk about overrated.

      Oy those W photoshoot are so weird, the people don't even look like themselves!!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! Hope you get to check out Black Mirror soon, it's dark but it's so well made and engaging. Easily the best show of 2016, even better than Westworld but not as entertaining as some of the episodes are really bleak, especially the one with Gleeson and Hayley Atwell (2x01)

        Delete
      2. Oooh, I'm 2 episodes away from 2x01 as I've got one more on season 1 to watch, most likely tonight. Yes it's indeed very dark/bleak but I could see why you think it's better and even more thought provoking than Westworld!

        Delete
      3. It helps that every episode is a stand alone story so it can explore so many different ideas. It's like 13 stand alone movies loosely connected by one theme

        Delete
    4. Yesssss Black Mirror is the best. I just watched the whole series recently too. My favourite is easily San Junipero but Nosedive, Shut up and Dance and The National Anthem are great too. It's one of those shows that has a few A+ episodes but also a couple that are sort of just meh. Still, when it hits you it hits you hard. The ending to San Junipero is one of my favourite endings to anything ever - the song and the credits just work so beautifully together.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. That ending contradicts the episode for me - the most powerful scene was Kelly shouting about how fake the place is to Yorkie so her final decision seemed more like a reaction she will soon regret than something she really wanted

        Delete
    5. Great Rambling Friday!
      I really am looking forward to Taboo, it looks so good. Hardy is a cool dude.
      I need to watch Black Mirror.
      Love Gugu, I think she is one of the most beautiful women in the world. They should have cast her as Belle.
      I totally agree with you about Matt Smith and Cumberbatch (I'd add Victoria's Tom Hughes to the list of actors who are probably serial killers in real life, he just looks so creepy to me.). The thing about Matt Smith though is that he comes across as such a NICE guy in real life. His Philip is a giant ass in the Crown and I actually wouldn't care if they chucked reality and killed Philip off. However, John Lithgow is stellar in The Crown as Winston Churchill (keep an eye out for Stephen Dillane in a future episode) and Lithgow should be getting all the awards for his work on the show.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yeah I heard Stephen shows up in that! I'm still on episode 1 though, very slow watching week :/ I still haven't even seen entire Golden Globes ceremony

        Delete
    6. If Tom Hardy was right I would be watching a lot more drama! That said, I think I should check out Taboo...for...blog purposes.
      Ruth mentioned Black Mirror to me, I think I'm going to have to check that out!
      Matt Smith creeps me out but I do have to fess up to liking Cumberbatch! It's the voice...
      Thanks for the link!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome! You should check out both Taboo and Black Mirror!

        Delete
    7. Thank you so much for the link, Sati. I totally dig that you still send that love my way. Super kind of you.

      "The only things I genuinely loved last year were TV not cinema and something tells me Dead Eyed Gos swirling around in cute surroundings ain't gonna wake up my desire to write about films." Oh, I love this. Sad (and true) as it is. I routinely fight the urge to give it up, and my readership/production are at record lows, but I still love trying to squeeze some humor out of all the bullshit I watch. I would like to watch some better movies though...they tend to make me sleepy, though. Uh, sleepier.

      Dude, my mom is into Black Mirror, and I'm afraid if I watch that series, it'll give her something else to shout at me about! (she's the loudest person I know). Maybe I'll watch it in secrecy. You know, after I watch Westworld.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. You're welcome!

        I think it's my fault. i used to visit your blog daily but now I have so little time in the office and I'm so tired when I get back I only drop by once a week :/

        Jesus Christ just watch those awesome shows already! :D

        Delete
    8. Oh I would LOVE to see a Visual Parallels post with Black Mirror and anything else. That show is fuckin great.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. How odd I was just going to ask you if you watch it! I'm gonna try to do one soon!

        Delete