Saturday, August 18, 2012

Saturday TV Special - Breaking Bad

By s. Saturday, August 18, 2012 ,
Plot: The series follows Walter White, quiet family man and underachieving chemistry teacher. Walt is brilliant and knows chemistry but he never made a fortune out of it and he is struggling with money problems along with his pregnant wife Skyler and their disabled son Walt Jr. And worst of all - one day Walt gets news that he has stage four terminal lung cancer and at best he has few months to live. Desperate and determined to provide enough money for his family so they could live comfortably after he is gone, Walter decides to use his skills to cook methamphetamine with his former student Jesse Pinkman. Because of Walt's brilliance their meth is the purest product on the market, which soon brings with it not only a lot of money but also a lot of trouble.
Structure: Each episode picks up where the last one ended and we get a little glimpses of the future and the past in the form of clever, teasing scenes that will form the full picture by the time each season is over.
Verdict: The show is absolutely superb, that is disregarding the decline in quality visible in season 5. Not only is it flawlessly acted out - especially by Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul - but it manages to be both entertaining and bleak at the same time. The situations the characters are facing are often impossible but there are still many great moments of humour in the show. It's like Pulp Fiction and Se7en mixed together and a fascinating look at a man who had good intentions but those intentions only brought pain, suffering and crossing over to the dark side with them. The progression of Walter's character and his slow descent into darkness is just riveting to watch as with each episode, each season we see him being more and more manipulative and dangerous.
What's so great about it? Fantastic acting, great story, many thrills, twists and turns you will not see coming, clever execution, brilliant cinematography and whole ensemble of fantastic supporting characters including sleazy lawyer Saul Goodman and bad ass hit man/problem solver Mike.
Whom you may recognize: Bryan Cranston, who ever since the show success stared in Contagion, The Lincoln Lawyer and Total Recall remake, Anna Gunn from Deadwood and Aaron Paul from Big Love.
Who will like it? Fans of great character studies, complex story lines and thrilling scenes.
When and where? AMC, Sundays - Season 5.

16 comments:

  1. I adore this show so much. So far I have to admit I've really enjoyed season 5 (the last episode was just incredible) but it has to go some way to top season 4. Gus was awesome.

    I do think it's interesting the direction they're currently heading in. Now the biggest villain seems to be Heisenberg, and Walter White is disappearing behind his alter-ego. I can't wait for Hank to find out though - I'm hoping that discovery will close this season and provide something to deal with for the final season. Of course, the show defies expectation and trying to predict where it's going is folly.

    Just so brilliantly written, gah. Love Jesse's development too. And now I'll stop squeeing about the show :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Season 4 was incredible, really powerful stuff.

      I thnink Walt really disappeared in the crawl space, it's amazing how well the show is showing his descent into darkness, he was such a sweet guy in the beginning! Hank finding out in the finale would be awesome, I really don't know what will happen when he does.

      Delete
  2. Just started this today actually, already loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You already know that I disagree with you on the quality of season 5, but other than that, TOTALLY agree. Every single episode of Breaking Bad is just quality stuff. There's nothing unneccasary or any characters that are just there without purpose. I love the way it looks - one of the best looking TV shows right now.

    Walter's journey has been epic. I can't believe where he is now, compared to where he came from. Jesse's the same.

    I can't wait for tomorrow's new ep!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cinematography is fantastic, there are so many great shots here I had real trouble just narrowing it to few in this post.

      Exactly. Jesse stays the same but I feel so bad for him, he is a good guy who got caught up into big shit.

      Delete
  4. It looks great, and I've heard nothing but good things (except for your comments on season 5). I *must* watch more TV shows. Possible New Year's resolution? I think so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Careful though, those shows really suck you in. I now watch 2 movies a week if I somehow manage to find the time between all of those series :)

      Delete
  5. Hell. Yes. So glad to hear you have fallen in love with Breaking Bad, though I think this new season is equally awesome. Walt is downright scary these days, and there's no telling what he's going to do. That's what I love about this show -- it's so damn unpredictable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I'm repeatedly shocked watching this show and I'm not surprised easily.

      Delete
  6. So glad you love this show, Sati. I disagree about the decline in quality in season 5, though. In fact, it's the ONLY show that I'm aware of that has maintained that high quality from the pilot onwards. I mean, all of my favorite shows have high points and low points, but none of them are as consistent and unwavering as Breaking Bad.

    So sad there's one left this year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High quality, yes, but for me it's not as high quality as it used to be. Another shows that I think were good through all seasons are Deadwood, The Thick of It and Six Feet Under.

      Delete
  7. I've got Deadwood in the pipeline, can't wait to jump into that one. But Six Feet Under, as awesome as that show was, did have its weak spots in the middle of its run. It redeemed itself tremendously with its final season, though. I do miss that show, big time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadwood is fantastic, really the best series I've seen. The last season of Six Feet was outstanding, if I had more time I'd rewatch the whole series.

      Delete
  8. "Crystal Blue Persuasion". Best use of a song to accent a show in TV history. They should make it the theme and use it more! What else are you into? Dexter, Treme, Downton Abbey? I'm an addict!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch so many shows it would be impossible to list them all, but I watch most stuff on HBO, Homeland, Parks and Rec, Luther...I used to watch Dexter but the last season was so bad, I'm not watching new one.

      Delete